Birdwatching in Cuba

   Apologies, first off, to all you birders drawn here by the headline above. While we have seen the Cuban lizard cuckoo, the tocororo and any number of frigatebirds and herons during our visits to the island, my attempts to photograph same have been largely unsuccessful.
   I, of course, blame my camera.

Lavender was not a stock colour for the 1958 Thunderbird, but does seem to suit it.
   So the bird being discussed here is of the automotive variety – specifically, a 1958 Ford Thunderbird convertible. I spotted this 'bird lending its fine purple plumage as backdrop to a Havana wedding party. But I was unable to get a complete shot – dang camera! – so I didn't bother to put up any of my pictures.
   Now, however, I see that Ralphee of CubanClassics has posted a magnificent photo of this same T-Bird in flight. And as is his custom, he provides much entertaining detail about his subject and its habitat.
   Turns out this is a rather rare 'bird – of nearly 38,000 Thunderbirds built for 1958, Ralphee tells us, only 2,134 were convertibles. That being the case, I consider it my T-Birdwatching duty to share these partial views.

A tour through Havana in a convertible is tradition for brides and grooms.

Why are they smiling? Because they
get to ride in a T-Bird!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovered in Cuba, a rare Mercedes bird

The Cuba Gullwing chronology